As makeup lovers, we’ve all had that discontinued eyeshadow we just can’t bear to finally get rid of, or the two year old skincare products we are certain we will use again. Unfortunately this also means we may be hanging on to our beauty products past their expiration dates, when microbes and bacteria are being transferred onto our skin and causing skin problems. A study done on 40 women showed that roughly 70% of women had used some type of expired product – mostly eye makeup. It may seem harmless but using a product beyond its expiration date risks irritation, rashes, blemishes and various skin or eye infections.
So when is it time to toss your beauty products? Here is a rough guide:
- Foundation: 6 months
- Lipstick and Lip Gloss: 1 year
- Mascara and Eyeliner: 6 months
- Eye Shadow: 1 year
- Blush and Bronzer: 1 year
- Nail Polish: 1 year
- Skin care: 6 months
- Fragrances: 3 years
Here are also some tips/do’s and don’ts on how to prolong the lives of your products:
+ store products in a cabinet or drawer
+ wash your hands before using products
+ mark down the date of purchase/date of opening on each product, so you know when to toss it out
– don’t buy products packaged in jars if possible (they carry a higher risk of bacterial contamination due to sticking your fingers in there)
– don’t let products sit in direct sunlight
– don’t let your brushes go too long without a thorough cleaning
We hope you’ve found these tips helpful!! If you have any products past their expiration dates, now is the time to throw them out and revamp your beauty bag!
Below is a useful guide from DreamModels.dk, which you can save for future reference!